MawMaw is my brother-in-law's grandmother, and she makes some of the best cheese straws I have ever tasted. These bite-size savory snacks have a little kick from the cayenne pepper which I love!
Cheese straws would be a perfect appetizer to take to a tailgate, make for a party, or have as a snack at home!
<< Back to Appetizer Recipes
Ingredients / Directions: Printable PDF
- 1/2 pound Sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 pound Butter
- 2 1/2 Cups Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Soften Butter and Cheese at room temperature. Grate cheese with a fine grater (Maw Maw uses a Moulin grater).
- Mix salt, pepper, and flour. Add to cheese and butter with hand until very well mixed. Add about 1/3 of mixture to the drum of the cookie press. Use a cookie press with a star-shaped disk to shape mixture into long ribbons, following manufacturer's instructions, on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Cut ribbons into 2-inch pieces.
- Bake at 325 for approximately 18 minutes. Occasionally check the bottom to make sure they do not brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Makes approximately 10 dozen. Store in airtight container for at least a week.