When I have been short on time, Chicken Perlo has been a lifesaver/dinner saver. The recipe I have for this southern treat is from my parents. It is great if you are entertaining or if you want a meal that is just as good left over as it is the first night.
To make this recipe, I use a stove top rice steamer. Chicken Perlo is so easy because once you boil and shred the chicken, you put everything in the rice steamer, and it is ready in an hour!! I like to pair this recipe with butterbeans, peas, broccoli, or string beans.
<< Back to Chicken Recipes
Ingredients / Directions: Printable PDF
- 3 Chicken Breast
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- Poultry Seasoning
- Salt / Pepper / Cavender's
- 2 ½ cups of white rice
- 3 Italian Sausage Links, sliced
- First, boil the chicken. Put chicken, water (half full), onion, bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, cavender's, and poultry seasoning (a couple shakes) in a large pot and bring to a boil. Turn the pot down to medium low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While chicken is simmering, go ahead and cook the sausage and slice it. Once the chicken is done (you will know when it’s tender), remove the chicken, set on a plate, and shred the chicken. Make sure to save your broth.
- Next, put about 3” of water in the bottom of your rice steamer. Then, spray the top section with cooking spray, and add the rice, shredded chicken and sausage. Add a little more salt, pepper, & cavender's. Pour the chicken broth on top until water level reaches right below the holes of the steamer.
- Turn on high until it starts boiling. Turn it down to Medium/Low and cook for an hour. You can stir the perlo after 20 minutes and keep stirring every 20-30 minutes.