Macaroni & Cheese
Every year on his birthday, Rob asks for macaroni and cheese, which is his favorite dish.
I have to confess that it took me about three years to master this seemingly easy delicious side dish to meet Rob's taste, but I finally did when I found this recipe in one of my many Southern Living cookbooks. I knew the recipe was meant for me because of the few ingredients and instructions.
I tweaked the original recipe to add some extra flavor. Give it a shot, and let me know if you like it!
<< Back to Side Dish Recipes
Ingredients / Directions: Printable PDF
- 1 (8oz) package of elbow macaroni (about 2 cups uncooked)
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose ﬂour
- 1 tsp onion salt
- A few drops of Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce
- 2 (10 oz) blocks sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 1/2 cups) and divided
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs (4 slices, crusts removed)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Garnish: black pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well. Set aside.
- Place milk, ﬂour, and onion salt in a large mixing bowl; whisk vigorously for1 minute. Add black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce.
- Stir together ﬂour mixture, 3 1/2 cups cheese, and macaroni.
- Pour macaroni mixture into a lightly greased 13-x9- inch baking dish or 2 (11-inch) oval baking dishes.
- Sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs and remaining 1 cup of cheese; drizzle evenly with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden brown.