Pesto Chicken Pasta
This recipe is from my mother; it's a "Jane" original. She made this for the first time in Manning for my dad, Meigs and Troy, and it was a big hit. My mom comes up with many recipes just by adding a little here and there; basically, whatever is in the fridge. When we made it, I had asparagus, but you can make it with any vegetable (spinach, broccoli, etc).
The key to this recipe is to let it simmer on Medium Low heat, covered, stirring occasionally.
I hope you all enjoy this as much as we did!
<< Back to Chicken Recipes
Ingredients / Directions: Printable PDF
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Medium Onion, sliced/quartered
- 3 Chicken Breasts, cubed (seasoned with Kosher Salt, Pepper, Cavenders)
- 2 ½ cups Chicken Stock
- 2 level Tablespoons Basil Pesto
- 3 Tablespoons Sun-Dried Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Bundle of Asparagus, broken in thirds
- 6 oz. Mushrooms, sliced
- 4 pieces of Bacon, cooked/chopped
- 2 ½ cups of Cooked Pasta, (8oz. uncooked)
- Optional Cheeses: Feta, Mozzarella, or Parmesan
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet with garlic on Medium High heat, and cook for 1 minute. Add the seasoned chicken and onions, and cook on Medium High heat for 2 minutes on each side. Reduce the heat to Medium and add the chicken stock, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Let the mixture simmer for about 15- 20 minutes, stir often, and then add the asparagus. Cook for about 6 minutes until the asparagus is tender. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Add bacon and cheeses and simmer for a couple minutes. Finally, add the cooked pasta.
- Stir and enjoy. Top with additional cheeses if desired.