Steak & Gravy
Round steak and gravy is a dish that I absolutely loved growing up. Our family has a tradition of cooking a special meal for birthdays, and I am pretty sure my sister and I requested this dish every year!
Pair this dish with mashed potatoes or rice and butterbeans!
<< Back to Beef Recipes
Ingredients / Directions: Printable PDF
- 1 medium-size Top Round Steak
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Seasonings: Salt, Pepper, and Cavender's
- 2 cups Water
- 1 ½ tablespoons Corn Starch
- Trim fat from meat. Add seasonings to both sides of round steak. Spray skillet with cooking spray. Add olive oil and start heat on medium high to high.
- Add round steak to pan, and sear each side about 2 minutes. While the second side is browning, add onions to top of meat. After several minutes, add at least 2 cups of water to pan. Cover. Bring to boil and reduce heat to medium low. Allow to simmer 1-1 ½ hours. Check periodically and add water if eeded.
- When meat is tender, remove from pan. Mix 1-2 tablespoons of corn starch to small jar with lid and fill with water. Mix well. Add corn starch mixture to pan. Return pan to high heat, stirring constantly, until desired thickness of gravy is reached. Reduce heat and return meat to pan.