One of our favorite restaurants in Jacksonville, FL is a mexican restaurant called La Napolera. We especially like their shrimp quesadillas, so this is another recipe that I have attempted to recreate. So much fun!
The key to this recipe is the Monterey Jack cheese and grilled shrimp. The Monterey Jack cheese goes very well with the shrimp and sauteed onions / green peppers, and the grill taste of the shrimp allows the seafood to standout among the other flavors.
Cook's Note: If possible, use fresh shrimp! This will ensure the best taste for your quesadilla!
<< Back to Seafood Recipes
Ingredients / Directions: Printable PDF
- 1 lb Fresh Shrimp, fully peeled (heads and tails removed), small to medium size
- 2 Large Flour Tortillas
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese
- Old Bay Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Add fully peeled shrimp to a mixing bowl and add 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add Old Bay seasoning to taste. Mix to ensure even coating of olive oil and Old Bay on shrimp.
- Place shrimp in a grill basket and grill for 1 minute with grill cover closed. After 1 minute, toss shrimp to ensure all shrimp turn color. Grill for an additional minute (2 minutes total) and remove shrimp from grill.
- In a lightly greased medium non-stick skillet, over medium high heat, add a teaspoon of olive oil. Add onions and green peppers as well as salt and pepper to taste. Stir together, cover the pan, and cook on medium low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- In another lightly greased non-stick skillet, over medium high heat, add a flour tortilla. Spread 3/4 cup of Monterey Jack cheese over the whole tortilla evenly. Add half of the shrimp, onions, and green peppers to one side of the tortilla. Once the cheese begins to melt, fold the side with only cheese over the side with shrimp. Cook approximately 2 minutes. Flip quesadilla and cook another 2-3 minutes.
- Before making the second quesadilla, rinse skillet under cool water and dry the pan. Add cooking spray and repeat instructions.