Spinach Bacon Pizza
Spinach Bacon Pizza with Caramelized Onions is a gourmet pizza at its finest. In fact, it's more of a flatbread style pizza.
The key to this recipe is to bake the dough for 3 minutes before removing the dough, re-flattening it, adding the toppings, and finally baking again. This process ensures the even flatbread appearance of the pizza.
Also, feel free to make other additions or substitutes as well. That's what makes baking a pizza so fun!
<< Back to Appetizer Recipes
Ingredients / Directions: Printable PDF
- 1 (13.8 oz.) Pillsbury Pizza Crust, classic style
- 4-6 slices of Bacon, cooked and chopped
- 4 ounces of Spinach
- 1/2 onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 teaspoons Brown Sugar
- Mozzarella Cheese
- Black Pepper
- Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a non-stick or dark baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll out the pizza dough on to the baking sheet. Bake for 3 minutes. Remove pizza dough from oven and flatten the dough out evenly.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Move the bacon to a wire rack or paper towels to drain the grease. Discard all but 2 teaspoons of bacon grease.
- Add spinach to the drippings in the skillet. Saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Remove spinach from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add butter to skillet and allow it to melt. Add onions and brown sugar to skillet and cook on medium for 5 minutes or until onions are cooked with a light crisp.
- Once all the ingredients are cooked, sprinkle the pre-cooked pizza dough with a light layer of Mozzarella Cheese. Next, add the bacon, spinach, and caramelized onions evenly over the pizza crust. Top with another layer of Mozzarella Cheese. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper to your personal taste.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes.